Reasons to File a Motion to Modify Child Support

If you need to change the amount of child support you pay, you can file a motion to modify child support. This motion is much easier than filing a petition. In addition to filing the motion, you will have to serve the other party with it. To do this, you should file in the same court you filed your decree in.

One common reason for modifying child support is when the child’s financial needs change. For example, the child may have increased medical expenses. Similarly, the parent may be suffering from a permanent disability or a drastic decrease in income. The judge will look at the facts of your case to decide if you have a substantial change in circumstances. If you feel that your circumstances have changed, present evidence that demonstrates the change.

Another reason to file a motion to modify child support is when the child reaches the age of 18. The judge may decide that a child is now too old to receive the amount of child support ordered by his or her parents. This is not a permanent change, but it may require a new parenting plan for your child.

If you have children from a previous relationship, you may be able to modify child support without going to court. However, if you can’t come to an agreement, you may need to contact the other parent. If you cannot reach an agreement through private negotiation, you can always use a mediation service to reach a settlement. This service will not only help you modify child support, but can also help you resolve any custody issues.